J.D., University of California; Hastings College of Law
B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara
Co-founder of Doll Amir & Eley LLP
Gibson Dunn & Crutcher LLP – Los Angeles
O’Brien Zarian LLP (now Arent Fox) – Los Angeles
Named a “Super Lawyer” by Southern California Super Lawyers and Los Angeles magazines. 2010 – 2020
Inducted into Litigation Counsel of America. 2011
Named as one of the top 35 health care lawyer by Daily Journal, April 2020
Michael M. Amir is the co-founder of Doll Amir & Eley LLP. He has a 20-year record of winning bet-the-company cases. He represents a variety of clients in high stakes litigation, including health organizations, banks, technology companies, educational organizations (universities and schools), large national corporations, medium-sized companies and high net-worth individuals. He has represented clients as lead counsel in complex matters in all phases of litigation, including state and federal jury and bench trials, arbitration proceedings, and Court of Appeals and California Supreme Court arguments. Los Angeles Magazine has named him a “SuperLawyer” each year for the past decade. In April 2020, the Daily Journal named Mr. Amir as one of the top health care attorneys in California.
The following reflect some of Mr. Amir’s notable accomplishments:
- Obtained a complete defense verdict on behalf of an executive for a major grocery chain in a federal white collar criminal defense case where the grocery chain had pleaded guilty and paid $70 million in fines and restitution. Even though the trial lasted almost a month, the jury deliberated for less than five hours before returning a “not guilty” verdict on all counts against Mr. Amir’s client. If convicted, Mr. Amir’s client would have faced up to 30 years in federal prison. The Los Angeles Daily Journal called the verdict “stunning”.
- Obtained a full defense decision in a bench trial on behalf of a medical group in a dispute over reasonable value of medical services. The California Court of Appeal subsequently affirmed the ruling in a published decision.
- Obtained a complete defense decision in a state court trial on behalf of a major university in a discrimination and breach of contract case.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict in a federal trial on behalf of a former NBA star in a breach of contract and fraud case.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict in a five-week jury trial where the Plaintiffs sought millions alleging fraud and breach of contract in connection with a real property dispute.
- Selected as lead trial counsel by trade organization to litigate (and win) a high-stakes battle on behalf of physicians in a case with national implications.
- Obtained summary dismissals of multi-million dollar complex Judicial Council Coordinated Proceedings on behalf of health care clients.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a health care company in a case where Plaintiff was seeking damages in excess of $60 million.
- Obtained a multimillion dollar settlement (including attorneys’ fees) on behalf of a bank sued by another bank for trademark infringement.
- Secured an unprecedented injunction against a hospital that had sought to shut out physicians who worked in the hospital’s ER. About a year later, after the hospital’s failed to obey the injunction, convinced court to hold an unusual, one-week criminal contempt trial and find the hospital guilty on 14 of 15 counts.
- Defeated a request for a preliminary injunction in a highly-publicized copyright action on behalf of one of the most popular online personalities.
- Obtained a writ of mandate in an unprecedented, high-stakes case against one of the largest counties in the country. In that case, the Los Angeles Superior Court ordered the county to reverse its decision to revoke the charter of Mr. Amir’s client, a charter school with multiple campuses. Without the decision, the school would have had to close its doors.
- Obtained a “guilty” verdict against opposing party in a contempt trial on 14 of 15 counts.
Prior to co-founding Doll Amir & Eley LLP, Michael Amir practiced law at the Los Angeles office of Gibson Dunn & Crutcher LLP and the Los Angeles office of O’Brien Zarian LLP (now Arent Fox). Mr. Amir served as an extern for Justice Arthur Gilbert, California Court of Appeal (2d District) and for the United States District Judge Susan Illston (N.D. Cal.). He is a graduate of the University of California, Hastings College of the Law, where he was a Member and Executive Project Manager of the Hastings Constitutional Law Quarterly.