Amy Borlund is a partner in the Firm. Ms. Borlund practices in the areas of general business litigation, commercial litigation, intellectual property, entertainment and entity formation and governance. Ms. Borlund has worked for a wide variety of clients, ranging from international corporations to nonprofit corporations to individuals.
Ms. Borlund has successfully represented clients in various general business litigation matters, with issues arising out of business dissolutions, breach of fiduciary duties, trade secrets, breach of contract and shareholder derivative claims. Her practice also includes the defense of claims in a wide range of consumer lending matters, including claims relating to residential mortgages, credit cards and auto loans. In intellectual property litigation, Ms. Borlund has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in matters involving copyright, trademark, right of publicity and patent infringement. Ms. Borlund’s legal experience also includes the defense of major corporations in product liability, toxic tort, general negligence matters. On the transactional side, Ms. Borlund has formed LLCs and both for-profit and non-profit corporations, including the drafting all organizational documents, and has advised companies as to governance issues.
Ms. Borlund has significant experience in all aspects of litigation, from pre-trial strategy through appeal. She has litigated cases in both state and federal court as part of two-person trial teams. Ms. Borlund has been successful in resolving matters prior to trial as well. Specifically, she has negotiated highly favorable settlements for clients and obtained dismissals of actions through/demurrer, motions to dismiss and summary judgment.
Notable and recent representations by Ms. Borlund include the following:
- Securing dismissals of numerous matters after successfully demurring to or moving to dismiss complaints in mortgage lending matters.
- Obtaining judgment for financial services client in trial on disputed credit issues.
- Obtaining summary judgment for defendant in fraud and breach of contract action.
- Serving as lead trial counsel in a jury case for a national telecommunications company, where she obtained a defense verdict after successfully moving for nonsuit.
- Defeating a copyright claim at trial and thereafter successfully moved for attorneys’ fees.
- Serving as second-chair in a multiweek trial in which a nonprofit foundation defended a defamation claim brought by a former board member.
Ms. Borlund is an active member of the California State Bar. She received her J.D. from UCLA School of Law, where she completed her degree with a specialization in business law and served as an editor for the UCLA Journal of International Law & Foreign Affairs. Ms. Borlund also spent a summer studying international law with William and Mary School of Law’s program in Madrid, Spain. As a graduate of Pepperdine University, Ms. Borlund obtained a B.S. in Business and spent her sophomore year studying abroad in Heidelberg, Germany. Prior to joining Doll Amir & Eley LLP, Ms. Borlund practiced law at the Los Angeles office of Arent Fox LLP.